Thursday, November 9, 2023

Teachableness

"This is an internal adjustment to some truth from God's Word: 'And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.'

"We're not getting our instructions about how to deal with life off the TV, or out of our of religion or out of our flesh; we're getting it out of God's Word," says Richard Jordan.

"The reality in God's Word is that no matter where I'm at or no matter what's going on, I am sufficient for all things in Jesus Christ.

"By the way, the culture says contentment is some future event and when it gets here, I'll be happy. Forget it; it's not something you acquire; it's not a goal you reach. It's an attitude you learn from the sound doctrine; from the doctrine of God's grace.

"The key to learning things is to have a teachable spirit. So that when you're in the circumstances you ask God, 'What do I need to learn in these present circumstances?' This is instead of telling God what you want Him to change in them.

"What do I need to learn? What are you doing inside of me? We know that 'tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope.'

"The first priority God has in your life is to make you more and more and more, day by day, like His Son. To conform you to the image of His Son; to have Christ formed in you.

"In your ups and in your downs, to take that vital thread of that relationship you have with Jesus Christ, that's rooted in the truth of His Word, and authentic living with Him, to little by little have Him transforming your thinking and thus your life.

"It's so that there's someone who thinks and talks like Jesus Christ. Then in your life you bring this outrageous attitude of gratitude, thanksgiving and contentment. And in the midst of the injustices of life and the injustices of work, you think like Jesus Christ thinks.

"Living out the sufficiency you have in the Lord Jesus Christ takes teachableness. You have to choose to be thankful, focus on what you have in Christ and then step back and look around and ask, 'What do I need to learn where I'm at? What does God's Word say about this that I can bring into my circumstances?'

Philippians 4: [11] Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

[12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

[13] I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

"Poverty doesn't have the power to take away contentment. Paul says, 'I've had more and I've had less. More can't bring contentment, less can't take it away. '

"We really don't believe that latter one, do we? We really fear the poverty and yet, in the midst of abounding poverty, you can see people with contentment, joy, that people in the midst of luxury are all the day longing for."

No comments:

Post a Comment