Saturday, November 25, 2023

A home in the 'Haven of Rest'

"I am tired in the Lord's work, but not tired of it," 18th century British evangelist George Whitefield used to say. Known for his crucial role in the American revival that came to be called "The Great Awakening," Whitefield also would say, "I'd rather wear out than rust out."

Zechariah 4 begins, [1] And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep

"When the angel comes and has to wake Zechariah up, it's because what was going on with him getting all these messages was absolutely exhausting to him. In other words, there's some weariness here and some labor going on in this ministry," explains Richard Jordan.

"There's a point in that. In Daniel 8, Daniel is getting all this information in visions: [18] Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

[19] And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.

"These guys are not just going to sleep at the switch; what's going on in ministry like that is an exhausting kind of thing.

"If you go back to Daniel 7:25, speaking about the Antichrist: [25] And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

"When you hear the Lord Jesus Christ, or you even hear the Apostle Paul say, 'Be not weary in well doing,' and Christ tells parables about importunity and how you 'Don't quit' . . .  That's because part of the strategy of the Adversary is to battle against what's going on and to wear people out.

"In the prophetic program, oftentimes you'll hear the prophet talk about the burden. A burden is something heavy to carry, but if you carry a burden long enough it will wear you out.

"That's important when you get to Zechariah 4:6 because the angel tells him, 'This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.'

"You hear that verse quoted all the time; most of the time with wrong application, but the whole point in this chapter is God's going to empower--God Himself is going to do for Israel what she can't do for herself. She'll be weak and weary and unable to defend herself, to protect herself, to avenge herself, and God will take care of it for her."

Here's a hymn from 1885, written by Henry L. Gilmour (Wenonah, NJ), entitled Haven of Rest:

  1. My soul in sad exile was out on life’s sea,
    So burdened with sin and distressed,
    Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, “Make Me your choice”;
    And I entered the “Haven of Rest”!
    • Refrain:
      I’ve anchored my soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
      I’ll sail the wide seas no more;
      The tempest may sweep over wild, stormy, deep,
      In Jesus I’m safe evermore.
  2. I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
    In faith taking hold of the Word,
    My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul;
    The “Haven of Rest” is my Lord.
  3. The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,
    Has been the old story so blest,
    Of Jesus, who’ll save whosoever will have
    A home in the “Haven of Rest.”
  4. How precious the thought that we all may recline,
    Like John, the beloved so blest,
    On Jesus’ strong arm, where no tempest can harm,
    Secure in the “Haven of Rest.”
  5. Oh, come to the Savior, He patiently waits
    To save by His power divine;
    Come, anchor your soul in the “Haven of Rest,”
    And say, “My Beloved is mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment