Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Literally enveloping him with your life

Genesis 2: [23] And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. She's my bones, my flesh. 

"The marines say you adapt and improvise. She's designed to adapt and diversify as the helpmeet for him. The capacity of a wife--the role of a wife is to be the one who can literally give herself to the place where she can be the helper that her husband needs her to be. That's why the Bible calls marriage a companionship," explains Richard Jordan.

[24] Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

"That's basically what marriage is. There's a leaving. There's the establishment of an independent, two-person unit called a marriage. There's a cleaving; there's an inseparable companionship between those two.

Malachi 2:14: [14] Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.

"It's a covenant relationship and that's why there's a wedding; a welding together. There's an inseparable companionship and then they become one flesh. One composite of cooperating, interdependent parts working together to accomplish God's will. That's what oneness is.

"You're dead to the old life; you're going to the new life. The cleaving has to do with the wife becoming the helpmeet for him, growing into conformity to her husband's nature and needs where you literally envelop him with your life so that his needs are met by a companion who's capable and equipped by God to do that. One composite, bound together, working together.

"Every time I read that verse in Genesis I think about trying to take wallpaper off the wall. You try to pull it off and it won't come off. It's stuck.

Ephesians 5: [21] Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

[22] Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
[23] For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
[24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

"The idea of submission is the idea of service and that servant's heart. The wife, as you submit yourself to the Lord, you're to submit yourself to your husband. Christ is the head of the church; He's the savior of the body.

"Anytime a guy talks about all this you know he's a little bit worried. I've preached in rescue missions on the corner. I've preached in prisons, on street corners. I've preached with people throwing apples and tomatoes at me. I had a guy dump a bucket of water on my head one time. I had somebody throw beer in my face. I had a guy throw a firebomb at me one time. Every preacher doesn't get a Molotov cocktail thrown at them while they're preaching.

"None of that ever bothered me; this kind of does. Because you don't want to be misunderstood. But I want you to understand what it is and my labor is to try and make that clear to you.

"As the church is subject to Christ. So how are you subject to Christ? You give yourself to Him. 'You love me and I just surrender myself to Christ.' He is my life. 'For me to live is Christ.' 

Galatians 2:20: [20] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

"It's Christ in you the hope of glory. How do you give yourself to Him? You make Him your life. You make Him the goal, the focus. You simply find all of your life in Him. Well, if you can understand that then you know what it is, 'so let the wife be subject to her husband.' It's an issue of giving your life to him and finding life in him."

No comments:

Post a Comment