Sunday, April 18, 2021

As Enoch walked in days of old

Just like in Noah's day, where getting into the Ark saved the family from being destroyed by the Flood, getting into the "little flock" will save the Believers in Israel from destruction in the tribulation.

Genesis 7 says they came in and God shut the door. There was a door of entrance into the Ark; there's a door of entrance into the "little flock".

Jesus Christ says in John 10: [1] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

[2] But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
[3] To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
[4] And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
[5] And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

The passage continues: [6] This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
[7] Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
[8] All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
[9] I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
[10] The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

"He's contrasting His ministry with that of the religious leaders of Israel; the vain religious system," explains Richard Jordan. "They're trying to climb into the sheepfold some other way. God has a door for them to come in. And there's a porter who will open it for them.

"The shepherd, when he comes, he comes to the door, the porter opens it and he goes in. The porter's John the Baptist and the door is water baptism.

"In denominational religion they say, 'Baptism is the door to the church.' Well, they got the wrong church but they've got a point because the way you got into that sheepfold was through the door.

"John the Baptist says in John 1:31: [31] And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

"In other words, John says, 'I didn't know who He was yet but I knew that I'm baptizing with water because the Messiah is going to come in the door.'

"Luke 7:30 says, [30] But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

"They wouldn't go in the door, so they didn't get into the 'little flock', the place of safety. 

*****

"It's important to understand in I Peter the issue is there's a period of longsuffering back in Noah's day that allowed people to get into the Ark. Peter's talking about the fact there's a longsuffering going on for them in the tribulation too; an extension of mercy being given to Israel for them to get in.

"II Peter 3:9 talks about, [9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. There's a longsuffering period.

"Now come back to Genesis 5: [21] And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

[22] And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
[23] And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
[24] And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

"Think about that. There's something that obviously took place with the birth of Methuselah that caused Enoch to begin to walk with God.

"In Hebrews chapter 11, what's often referred to as 'the heroes of faith' passage, Enoch’s influence is specifically identified: [5] By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

"That's why you have that next verse that is so often quoted: [6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

[7] By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

"Where does faith come from? Paul says in Romans, 'So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.'

"You can't have faith if you don't have a Word from God to trust. So when it says by faith Enoch did something, that means God communicated some information to Enoch for him to believe and it had to do with his translation; with him being delivered from the wrath."

The song "O Let Me Walk With Thee, My God" has the lyrics:

1 O let me walk with thee, my God,
As Enoch walked in days of old;
Place thou my trembling hand in thine,
And sweet communion with me hold;
E'en tho' the path I May not see,
Yet, Jesus, let me walk with thee.

2 I can not, dare not walk alone;
The tempest rages in the sky;
A thousand snares beset my feet,
A thousand foes are lurking nigh;
Still thou the raging of the sea;
O Master, let me walk with thee.

3 If I may rest my hand in thine,
I'll count the joys of earth but loss,
And firmly, bravely journey on;
I'll bear the banner of the cross
Till Zion's glorious gates I see:
Yet, Saviour, let me walk with thee.

(new article tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment