Friday, October 23, 2015

God wrote book of your DNA

Three thousand years ago David knew something about what happened to him when he was first created.

He writes in Psalm 139: 15-16, “My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
[16] Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.”

Jordan explains, “This passage is really talking about the creation of man, Adam. He’s saying, ‘All of my members were written out and then the book just continuously developed as I grew.'

*****

“I remember back when Bill Clinton first became president and the news had just come out about the human genome program, Clinton, according to this magazine article I read, took the whole day to learn all this information.

“The human genome system is where we get our understanding of DNA. DNA is the basic genetic structure of your makeup. What they’ve learned about it is that DNA really is not a random bunch of garbage in a can. DNA has letters that, when you put them together, form words that when you put them together form sentences. They have stops, or periods, and paragraph marks and it literally reads like a book.

“Scientists can only read 7-8 percent of it, but before you were anything except that itty-bitty one set of 23 chromosomes of mama and one set of 23 chromosomes of dad, joined together to make the 46-chromosome package you are, that package already said my eyes were going to be blue, my skull was going to be a certain way, I was going to have my daddy’s hands . . .

*****

“So everything about you is originally written in that little genetic patch kit that we call DNA. It’s not a random sequencing but rather it really is like a book. That’s what David calls it. But notice he calls it ‘thy book.’

“Who really wrote the book of DNA that makes up you? God did. What they’re doing now is they’re trying to read it, and you know what else, they’re trying to REWRITE it.

“You know what GMOs are? Genetically modified. They take that DNA and they read it and they rewrite it.

“I say, ‘Wow, isn’t that interesting, because God wrote another book.’ I think, ‘Well, if God wrote the book of my DNA and then He wrote another Book' . . . Isaiah says, ‘Seek ye out the book of the Lord and read.’

“When I’m seeking out the Book of the Lord and reading, what am I really going to be reading? The divine DNA of God’s life. Jesus said, ‘The words that I speak unto you they are spirit and they are life.’ So the divine DNA is in the Book!

*****

“Just look at your Bible a minute. What do the four first letters of Genesis say? Oh, isn’t that interesting. Genesis 5:1 says, ‘The book of the generations.’ Now I’ve got a book of genes! Do you know that’s the first time the word ‘book’ shows up in the Bible? Think of that; the first time a book shows up in the Bible it’s a book of genes! It’s a book of DNA!

“Look at Luke 8:11: ‘Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.’ In that little plant seed is the DNA of the plant; everything it’s going to be. What’s that verse say the seed is in the parable? The Word of God.

“So there’s DNA for the plant and it’s all in that seed and then it’s just going to continuously manifest itself as it grows and that is the Word of God. The DNA is in the Word of God.

“In Acts 12 it says ‘the Word of God GREW and multiplied.’ That’s what life does. It grows. So God’s made that connection.

*****

“Your spine divides your body into two parts; a left side and right side. If you’re right-handed, your right hand is dominate; it’s stronger. Your left hand is weaker. What your spine does is divide you into a weak side and a strong side. Twelve ribs on one side and twelve on the other.

“Your Bible has a spine. Do you know there are 33 bones in your spine? There’s a spine that goes down the middle of my Bible that divides it into two sides. What does the Bible say about the law? ‘It was weak through your flesh.’

“Paul says, ‘Be strong in the grace that’s in Christ Jesus.’ So where’s the strength going to be? I say, ‘Hmm.’

“There are 66 books in your Bible and if you divide 66 by 2 you get 33. There’s your spine. There are 1,189 chapters in the Bible. Divided by two that’s 594 and a half.

“The middle chapter of the Bible is Psalm 117: ‘O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people.
[2] For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.’

“If you count the words in those two verses you get 33. There’s a comparison between the spine of your Bible and your backbone.

“How old was the Lord Jesus Christ when He died? You remember Moses said to God, ‘Show me your glory,’ and God responded, ‘You can’t see my face because if you do you’ll die, so I’ll show you my backside.’ That passage is found in Exodus 33.

*****

“You have 46 chromosomes (23 from mom and 23 from dad) and you get this DNA package of genetics that make you.

“By the way, God used two languages to write the Bible. There are 22 letters in the Hebrew alphabet and 24 letters in the Greek alphabet. If you add 22 and 24 you get 46.

“Genesis 2:23 says, ‘And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.’

“There’s the quote about the one flesh, the joining of the 23 and 23--the producing of 46 chromosomes that is able to make a kid--and there they become one.

“If you go to I Corinthians 6, Paul talks about that one flesh and how, in human terms, he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. Our birth into Christ, being begotten by the gospel, to produce one spirit, Paul says it’s a parallel in the physical realm. The 46 chromosomes is a parallel to our spiritual identity in Christ. He just keeps connecting those two things together.

*****

“You know what the 46th book in the Bible is? I Corinthians 3:16 says, ‘Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?’ I Corinthians 6:19 says, ‘What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?’

“The 46th book talks about you and I being the temple. The place where God lives. He lives inside of your DNA. It’s there He exists.

“When Herod built the temple that Israel used in the time of Christ and the time of Paul, you know how long it took him to build it? John 2:20, ‘Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?’

“When God told Moses to build the tabernacle, it was all made out of skin, but it’s got a structure to it. It’s got boards and stuff to hold up the skins, and he put four posts in the beginning of it out here which match the four pairs of the genetic code. Down one side of it, the north side, he put 20 boards, and down the south side he put 20 boards, and across the back side he put six boards.

“In I Kings 7, when Solomon built the temple, he built a porch and put two pillars with lilies on top. You want to guess how tall each one of those pillars were? Each one was 23 cubits. When he went inside and built the staircase, it’s called a winding stairs. Have you ever seen a picture of DNA? It’s got two pillars on the outside and winding stairs on the inside.

*****

“Are you familiar with Fibonacci numbers? These are some of the great tools of percentages people use for investing in the stock market and all. Einstein said the purest science is math. Did you know that Fibonacci numbers produce that DNA spiral?

“With every person your ear is in the pattern of a Fibonacci circle. Why is that? Because God wrote it in His book of DNA when He wrote you. There are ordinances and patterns to it. There’s a connection between our DNA and the DNA of the Bible; that’s my point to you.

“Proverbs 3 says that when God created the heaven and the earth, He used wisdom, knowledge and understanding and put it in His creation. Paul says ‘in Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.’

“There’s this connection and the reason it’s important to me is that the DNA of the Lord Jesus Christ, His life lives in me and that life is in His Word, so there’s this spiritual DNA of the Lord Jesus Christ that lives in me that’s designed to live out through me and there’s a connection in there. And I say, ‘Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly.’ ”

******

Personal account for today:

According to my mom, my dad’s life was starting to “spiral out of control” when he decided to become a missionary. He was losing a lot of money in the stock market and, with his daily drug habit, he was doing crazy things like showing up in the middle of the night with a flashlight to visit patients admitted at Akron General and Akron City Hospital.

A close friend  of my parents and a leader at their church, Holy Trinity Lutheran of Akron, where my dad sang in the choir, had already approached my dad about his drinking when I was a baby and that led to my dad quitting the church.

Shortly afterward, a patient of my dad's, the nationally known Rev. Dallas Billington of Akron Baptist Temple, credited at the time with having the “world’s largest Sunday school," led my dad to Christ, even giving him his own Bible, and my dad finally became saved at the age of 44.
A year or so later he sold our big family home in Fairlawn Heights and we left Akron for the jungles of Ecuador, entire family in tow, including our French poodle, Mimi. My mom recalls, “I thought, 'Well, if this is what it takes to get him turned around' . . . ” Little did she know what trouble was ahead.

(to be continued tomorrow)

2 comments:

  1. Sis. Lisa: I like Bro. Jordan's comment about Ps. 139:15-16 having some reference to Adam. But David also seems to be referring to himself in context. I suppose that it could work either way, since we're all Adam's offspring. Thanks very much for your blog! DMJ, Atlanta, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. AV1611, Just saw this so forgive me for no response til now --not used to comments being posted! Good observation re Psalm 139 and I appreciate you letting me know. Thank you very much for reading!

    ReplyDelete