Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Atheists and drug dealers

At a Bible conference in Michigan once it was reported that a man who was a Grace Believer decided he was an atheist. One of the reasons he gave was, “I just can’t believe a good God would allow evil in the world.”

Jordan explains, “That’s a common idea of people who don’t want to believe in God. The problem with that it is it assumes that a good God could have no reason for allowing evil to happen.

People think, ‘Why, I wouldn’t!’ That’s the problem! It’s your pride. That thinking assumes you are omniscient and knew every possible reason for everything that happens.”

*****

“You’ll never meet anybody who’s an honest atheist. When I say an honest one, I mean somebody who doesn’t have an ax to grind like guys such as (Sigmund) Freud. Freud said that the reason he hated religion is because he crossed the street one day and a guy standing on the corner was preaching, ‘You’re going to go to hell if you don’t trust Christ. You’re going to burn in hell.’

“Freud spent the rest of his life trying to prove that religion was just a repressed sex drive. And he’s the guy where all you got to do is drop his name and everybody thinks, ‘Oh, you’re a real intellectual.’

*****

“You’ll never meet an honest person who spent 15 hours looking at the actual evidence of the resurrection of Jesus Christ say they don’t believe in it because, if you look at the actual evidence for the resurrection, there’s only one conclusion—He came out of the grave.

“Obviously what that means is up to you. I mean, you can put any meaning to it you want to. I read a book years ago by a Jewish rabbi who believed in the resurrection of Jesus Christ based on the historical evidence, but didn’t believe He was the Messiah; he didn’t trust Him. He didn’t get the meaning that God attached to it.

“But when you recognize that there’s one man who went into death and came out, and that there’s objective, physical, historical, demonstrable evidence that you could go into a court of law with and prove it happened, well, that’s different.

“And you see that’s what Doubting Thomas came up with when he said, ‘My Lord and my God.’ He figured it out right when he saw it.

*****

(Editor’s note: I’ve decided to start putting some autobiographical data at the bottom of each post for readers who want to learn more about where I’m coming from as a blogger.)

My dad developed a real drinking problem shortly after he married my mom, who was a teetotaler.

When my brother was a baby my mom would get calls at 1 and 2 in the morning for her to come pick up her husband from some bar. My dad somehow got up every morning and ran his very popular private medical practice in Firestone Park.

I was a baby when my mom says my dad made the big switch from magnums of Pinot Grigio to prescription pills and injectables.

It all started when my dad approached the neighborhood pharmacist about helping out his poorer by dropping his drug prices. The pharmacist said to him, “I can’t be a doctor and you can’t be a pharmacist.”

My dad went home and thought, “Well, he can’t be a doctor but I CAN be a pharmacist.” That was all the instigation my dad needed to go out and obtain his own pharmaceutical license.

(new article tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment