Thursday, February 23, 2012

A time to embrace

About the decade we’re in right now, Jordan said, “It’s an exciting time to live and serve and share the gospel because you’re going to see a world that’s going to listen as the world you live in has never listened. Largely it’s because people get real basic when all the bills get paid.

"Here’s Paul in prison. He’s down to where it’s basic. He says, ‘I’ve got this one thing that’s the key-- forgetting those things which are behind.’ And that’s not talking about forgetting Aunt Tilly’s toenail that got run over by a truck or the garbage disposal that broke down.

“You go back to verses 4-7 in Philippians 3 and see all those things that used to be gain; used to be what he counted in. Paul said, ‘I forgot all that. I’m not going to be putting my confidence in my resources.’

“That’s something you need to remember not to forget, because what you and I tend to do as we traverse through our Christian life is slide back into trusting our resources. One of the reasons is we talk to ourselves so much.

“If you talked to God as much as you talk to yourself, you’d probably depend on His resources at least, if not more, as much as you depend on yours. But you think it’s a chore to talk to God because that’s called prayer and, ‘I don’t have time to! Oh God!’ and you do the Tebow thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment