Saturday, February 18, 2012

From the other side of the 'flood'

Right now I’m lying comfy under a luxurious comforter (with the electric blanket on 3) in my mom’s guest bedroom after a dramatic 24 hours. I came back from a work event last night to find my kitchen sinks coated with black gunk (the building is notorious for its horrible plumbing).

An hour later, after scrubbing them out, I heard a big, “Bloob, bloob, bloob,” and rushed over to the sinks to see them quickly filling up with water. I grabbed my biggest stock pot and started running pails of the greasy, dingy, sewery-type water around a corner and down the hallway to the toilet. If I hadn’t been there, the kitchen sinks would have surely flooded over a half-dozen times!

To think I was originally going to drive home to Ohio after five o’clock quitting time Friday until I learned of my boss’ desire to hold a meeting with a new volunteer group! Whew!

I didn’t sleep well at all last night knowing I might have another “flood,” and that I might not get the maintenance man’s help until Tuesday (after President’s Day), meaning I would be foolish to go ahead with my vacation plans.

I decided to collect up everything that was important from the floor (most especially the Persian rugs I inherited from my grandmother’s death) and put down bath towels (including ones I obtained from our furniture storage room that were donations for residents) and hope for the best.

I left my apartment at 8 this morning and called the property manager from the Indiana toll road at 10. She called back around 2 to tell me the problem was fixed and that my call averted a potential disaster due to a major pipe clog that was found as a result.

As soon as I got in the door at my mom’s (which used to be my grandmother’s) I broke down in tears, flooded once again with memories of my sister. Fortunately my mom came home within a half-hour of my arrival and my brother Murray smothered me with his big Lab frame and slobbering kisses.

Then we ordered Chinese from our favorite place (one that we used to go to as a family after church on Sunday from way back when I was only a toddler!).

Oh, it feels good to be all safe and snug—and dry! Write a new study article tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment