Sunday, October 18, 2020

Mental attitude that's a win-win

Paul begins I Corinthians 4, [1] Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
[2] Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

Jordan explains, "A steward is not the owner, not the boss; he's a servant who, faithful to what the Master says, takes the Word to others: 'I'm just the guy handing off the stuff.'

"I Thessalonians 2:4: [4] But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.

"Notice we were allowed of God. That's saying, 'I've been given by God this undeserved privilege to preach this. He's taken His goods and entrusted them to me. I then give them out as a wise steward. I'm just a minister. I'm just the pipeline. I'm not the issue; He's the issue!'

"The message is the issue and Paul writes in Ephesians 3: [7] Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
[8] Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

"That word unsearchable means untraceable. When you can't trace something you can't search it out. It's too deep, it's too broad. He says it 'passeth understanding.' You can't get your mind around it. Paul prays that you would comprehend it because it's just so big.

"Paul recognizes, 'I've got this message and I've been given the privilege of preaching it,' and that changed his whole thinking process.

"In Acts 20, Paul says, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
[19] Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
[20] And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
[21] Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

"He talks about that lowliness of mind in Ephesians 4: [1] I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
[2] With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

"Humility and lowliness means not thinking you're something you're not. How do you do that? You look at the greatness of what God's done. It's THAT mental attitude that humbled Paul.

"Romans 10:14-15 says, [14] How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
[15] And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

"There's a process that brings faith to people. There's a sending and a preaching and a hearing and a believing. It was heard because it was preached, because someone was sent. It starts with the possession of His word, but it also starts with taking that Word and preaching it. Being a minister, putting it out there--the heralding of it and the hearing of it creates faith in what's said." 

No comments:

Post a Comment