Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Changing scenes of life

John 19:30 reports that Jesus, just before His death, said, “It is finished: and he bowed his head and gave up the ghost.” The amazing reality is that up until this moment, His head was erect and had not bowed.

“All the suffering, all the pain, all the agony, all the discomfort, all of the torment—everything He’d been through and He’s still alert; mentally alert, His mind clicking off the Scripture verses, His head physically erect," says Jordan. “And now He dies as no one else ever did. He dismissed His spirit--‘gave up the ghost.’ That’s a wonderful scene. He doesn’t die as a helpless victim.

“If you remember back when they convicted Jack Kevorkian of killing that fellow, the guy’s mouth was all just flopped opened and the prosecutor argued, ‘He didn’t even care enough about the dignity of the man he just murdered to close his mouth but just left him lying there in terrible-looking condition.’

“But Christ didn’t die that way. He didn’t die as just a helpless, hapless victim. He died with a majestic bearing of one who was in control. In control to the end, dying purposefully for you and me.”

*****

In II Samuel, David brings back to Israel the Ark of the Covenant from among the Philistines and gets convicted about building a house for God, but God says to him, in essence, “What you want to build me a house for? I didn’t ask you to do that.”

Jordan explains, “God’s point is, ‘What makes you think I need a house to dwell in? If I needed a house I’d have told you. I’m content to live in a tabernacle.’

“Now, you need to think for a moment what a tabernacle is. When God gave Moses the instructions to build the tabernacle in the wilderness, what was the tabernacle made out of? Animal skins. The tabernacle is a tent. It’s literally a tent made out of skin in which the glory of God’s going to dwell.

“It’s not a house made out of brick, or mortar, or stone that never was alive. It’s a tent made out of skin. Now, that issue, is why God tells David, ‘That’s where I’ve chosen to dwell. You want to build me a permanent house but I didn’t ask for that.’

“It’s not that the Lord didn’t appreciate David’s sentiment. David’s wanting to do something for the Lord; you know he feels kind of bad that he lives in a house and God’s out there in a tent and, you know, it’s, ‘I’ve got this nice place and you’ve blessed me with all this stuff; I want to move you up—bring you on up to the East Side and let you finally get a piece of the pie too.’

“The problem is it’s an uninformed sentiment. It isn’t getting the idea so God says to David, ‘You can’t do it, but I tell you what I’m gonna do. I’m going to build me a tent of skin. I’m going to build me a tabernacle out of YOUR skin, YOUR flesh, David, and I’m going to dwell in your flesh.’

“Whoa! Wow! Now it’s in the heart and essence of the Davidic Covenant that God tells David, ‘The mechanism whereby I’m going make Israel a great nation; the mechanism whereby I come and dwell in Israel and be there God and make them my people—make them a great nation and have me dwelling in their midst—is I come and live, not in a house of stone, mortar, or animal skins; I’m going to come and live in your skin, David, and it’s going to be the Tabernacle of David. The seed of David.’

“Now, ultimately that’s going to be whom? The Lord Jesus Christ made of the seed of David and that’s why you find in the New Testament, Paul said a number of times that Jesus is of the seed of David. He’s of David’s flesh.

“Of course, it’s the Messiah, this seed of David, who’s going to bring in all the blessings of the Abrahamic Covenant. Everything the Abrahamic Covenant accomplishes, He’s the one who’s going do it and He’s going to do it in David’s flesh.

“That’s why God says in II Samuel 7: 12-13, ‘And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.’ ”

No comments:

Post a Comment