Tuesday, May 31, 2011

To Mel from Cindy

Mel used to say to me, “I wish I had met you when I was younger.” We had a special kinship born out of knowing we were both life-long singles. Mel would often let me know he thought I’d make a great wife.

Little did I know at the Wednesday night service two weeks ago at Shorewood, when Mel suddenly blurted out just before the service, “Lisa, why don’t you sing for us,” he was on the very edge of finally going home to be with the Lord (something he was yearning for).

As the song request got carried out by the crowd, an agreement was made that I would sing a song of my choosing from the pulpit for Mel (and everyone else in attendance) at the following Wednesday service.

That same rainy, cold evening, as I was approaching my car in the middle of the parking lot, Mel yelled out at me from the front sidewalk of the church: “Sing, ‘He Hideth My Soul.’ ” I laughed, yelling back, ‘Well, I’ll definitely give it some thought.’ We both yelled out goodnight and that was it.

Just the other day, I was told there was a running joke about Mel BEFITTING the song, “Little Is Much When God Is In It.”

According to the internet, “This old hymn was written circa 1924 by Kittie Suffield, wife of Frederick W. Suffield. This couple committed their lives to God at a church in Ottawa, where A. J. Shea was the pastor. The couple later went into evangelism and they sometimes worked with their former pastor’s son, George Beverly Shea.”

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend tomorrow night’s Wednesday service due to a tri-annual work meeting with the college students I manage. I imagine it would have been very sad walking in. knowing Mel wouldn’t be there to greet me as he was always so anxious to do with the utmost affection (even giving me a special name he came up with for some reason-- Cindy).

Anyway, here’s the Kittie Suffield song:

1. In the harvest field now ripened
There's a work for all to do;
Hark! the voice of God is calling
To the harvest calling you.

2. In the mad rush of the broad way,
In the hurry and the strife,
Tell of Jesus' love and mercy,
Give to them the Word of Life.

3. Does the place you're called to labor
Seem too small and little known?
It is great if God is in it,
And He'll not forget His own.

4. Are you laid aside from service,
Body worn from toil and care?
You can still be in the battle,
In the sacred place of prayer.

5. When the conflict here is ended
And our race on earth is run,
He will say, if we are faithful,
"Welcome home, My child well done!"

Chorus:
Little is much when God is in it!
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment