Friday, February 23, 2024

Psalm 119 the way David thought

"There's really only one Bible character whose life fits what's in Psalm 119, because in the psalm he describes himself, his experiences and how the Word of God related to them. When you take them all together, they don't fit all these other (Bible writers people suspect).

"Look at verse 17, for example: [17] Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.

"Thirteen times in the psalm, verse 23, for example, "[23] Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.

Verse 38: [38] Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.

"He calls himself 'thy servant' all down through the psalm. Now, that title is used of David in the psalms and of nobody else," says Richard Jordan.

"If you look at Psalm 19, a psalm of David, verse 11: [11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

"That's the first time that title's used and it's used by David of himself.

Verse 13: [13] Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

"Psalm 27:9, a psalm of David, says, [9] Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

"Every time 'thy servant' is singular, the individual, is in the psalms, it's David.

In Psalm 89 the Lord talks: [35] Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto David.

[36] His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.
[37] It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

"In the Book of Psalms, God Himself calls David His servant. Verse 20: [20] I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:

Psalm 119:49: [49] Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

"David uses the title himself, God uses the title of David, and there's no doubt David is the servant. 

"When you look at the way he talks about himself, the terms that he uses and the experiences that he portrays, these things fit David and really don't fit anybody else. 

Psalm 119:2: [2] Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

"You see the expression 'with the whole heart'? 

Verse 34: [34] Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

"That expression is used in about a half-dozen places. The only one who uses that expression in the Book of Psalms is David. You're listening to David talk. This is the way he thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment