Monday, August 15, 2022

By the breath of His mouth

Psalm 33:6: [6] By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

"The idea of putting your spirit into some words--there are three times in the Bible you read about how God breathed on some people. The first time is in Genesis 2:7: [7] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

"If God 'breathed' means anything, it means God breathed some words that were then put on paper; He put His spirit in some words. Jesus said, 'The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.'

"He caused those words to be placed onto paper. People argue about men being inspired, but the writing was inspired too. When you're dealing with this stuff, it seems to me that the best thing to do is go to the Scripture and find out what the Scripture says and then say that," says Richard Jordan.

"I've got probably a dozen different theology tomes in my study. You look up the word 'inspiration' and there will be anywhere from two pages to 200 pages written about it and if you don't know who they are, what school they come from, what theological position they have, you can get all kind of different ideas. The safest thing is just to go to the Scripture and get your definitions out of the Bible.

"Can I tell you that most people I've come across in the last 50 years . . . I've discovered that most people don't get their definitions for inspiration from the Bible. Most people don't even know there is a doctrine in the Bible about preservation, and almost NOBODY knows there's a doctrine about translation.

"So what happens is they will believe the Bible about revelation, then they move over to the Bible in one hand and human viewpoint in the other on inspiration, and then there over in human viewpoint and confusion about preservation because they think that's not a Bible doctrine, and then when you talk about translation they fall right off the stage.

"If you go to the Scripture, it will define all of those for you and then you know how to think about them. I can't answer all the questions for you, but I can show you what God says about how God's people--Jesus, His apostles, etc.--think about these issues and that to me is the key.

"Jesus is in the midst of all the rabbinical scholars of Israel in Mark 12: [35] And Jesus answered and said, while he taught in the temple, How say the scribes that Christ is the Son of David?

[36] For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The Lord said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

"That's a quote out of Psalm 110:1: [1] The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

"Notice what Jesus Christ thought about the verse. The words that David said--he spoke and had written down in Psalm 110:1--were the words that the Holy Ghost gave him to put there. Now that is the estimation the Lord Jesus Christ has of Scripture. It's the Holy Spirit speaking through whoever the writer is."

(new article tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment