Saturday, February 1, 2020

I say, 'I'll be there!' and DO IT

Guess the hymn below:

"J.M. Black wrote the words and music to this gospel hymn (circa 1893) in less than 15 minutes," writes Heln Salem Rizk in her 1964 compilation of stories behind 'the greatest and most beloved Christian hymns ever composed.' "At a consecration meeting in his church when members were answering the roll call with verses from the Bible, a little 14-year-old girl, who had been previously taken in off the streets, failed to respond.

"The following are the author's own words: 'I spoke of what a sad thing it would be, when our names are called from the Lab's Book of Life, if one of us should be absent.' According to Black, he wanted something appropriate to sing just at that time, but could find nothing in the hymnal.

"The thought came to him, 'Why don't you write it yourself?' When he went home that evening, just as he went in the door the words suddenly came to him. Seizing a pen, he wrote them down in a frenzied flourish. Going to the piano, he played the music just as it is found in the hymn books today, note for note! Black was so amazed at the speed and ease oh his own creation that he dared not change a single word or note from the moment it was written."

According to Wikipedia, "The song's lyrics were first published in a collection titled Songs of the Soul and the song has since been translated into at least 14 languages and sung all over the world in a variety of Christian denominations.[3] There are more than 500 versions available on such sites as Amazon, recorded by various artists such as Loretta LynnJohnny CashJim Nabors, and Willie Nelson, to the traditional tune. The lyrics have also been set to new music by contemporary gospel artists such as Doris Johnson. In 1945, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill created a stir in the British press when he quoted the hymn in response to a question about when the Big Three were going to meet; stated the Winnipeg Free Press: 'Mr. Churchill, in one of his somewhat puckish moods, replied that he did not know, but, he added irreverently, 'When the roll is called up yonder, I'll be there.' The British press expressed surprise at Churchill, an Anglican, being familiar with a hymn more associated with MethodismPresbyterianism, and other 'chapel' denominations or the revival meetings of Dwight L. Moody and Ira D. Sankey or R. A. Torrey and Charles McCallon Alexander, whereas the Free Press speculated that Churchill might well have heard the 'catchy' tune in the street meetings held by the Salvation Army.[4] He might also have remembered the lyrics from the 1941 movie Sergeant York."

Answer: "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder"


*****


“What I represent, what I do, all of it is to come from orders from home," says Jordan. "And I’m just a little colony of home down here. Can you imagine that? Look around you this morning; we’re an outpost of heaven.



“You send dudes up into space and put them in the spaceship way up there, whatever you see in the movies. Well, we’re just that from heaven! God reached out in the world and took a bunch of old dirt bags like us, made of dust, and put a little spit in it, molded a man, and then He put His life in you and made you part of heaven. That’s who we really are.
“Our conversation . . . our sense of our identity is in heaven. It’s that nobler affinity, that grander purpose, that protection and security that comes from really knowing who you are.

“You know why I can press toward the mark for the prize? It’s because I really know what’s going on. I really know what I’m a part of. He didn’t just save me to keep me out of hell. He saved me to make me a citizen and a part of the commonwealth of His kingdom. And He didn’t just give me a citizen card to put my little nametag on that says, ‘Oh, I’m in!’ He said, ‘You know, I want to associate you with a lifestyle that I’ve established. And I want to demonstrate that in your life.’

“It isn’t just that we’re representing heaven but I’m also looking for this thing to get completed. Aren’t you glad of that? ‘From whence also we look for the Savior.’ When He says we’re looking for Christ the Savior we’re looking for HIM!

"I’m not looking to get rich, I’m not looking for an overthrow of the government, I’m not looking for the cure for AIDS, I’m not looking for the undertaker,  I’m looking for Christ. He’s the hope! When Paul says, ‘We look,’ we have that earnest expectation; that eager anticipation for Him to appear.


*****


“There’s a basic Bible principle . . . Old man Bob Jones (1883-1968) used to say, ‘Duties never conflict.’ And you need to write that down upon the impress of the doorway of your mind and never forget it. It will get you through some real questionable situations.

“There’s another one the old man (an Alabama-born evangelist and pioneer religious broadcaster who founded Bob Jones University) used to say, and these two pieces of advice have meant more to me through the years than almost anything, and that’s, ‘The greatest ability is dependability.’ That will help you get through some real tough spots of self-doubt and all the rest.

“If you have that heart attitude to be what God’s given you to be--a member of the Body of Christ functioning in that way wherever you are--you’ll find He’ll open doors and begin to move you around when He’s ready to. Doors will open and you’ll go!

“Paul writes in II Corinthians 7:1, ‘Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.’

“God’s will is that you be clean. Holiness, not a holy mess. God expects you to strive for perfect holiness in the fear of God.

“The will of God is not so much to worry about where you are as much as it is He wants you to BE where you are, living a sinless life. Your attitudes first, then your actions.

*****


“Paul says, ‘I am ready, Rome.’ He’s ready to go. No hesitation in Paul about going and preaching. And he doesn’t miss a chance.

“Notice he says, ‘I am debtor.’ In verse 15, he says, ‘I am ready.’ In verse 16, he says, ‘I am not ashamed.’ That’s a good sermon outline.

“Acts 21:13 says, ‘Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.’
  
“He says, ‘I mean, what are you trying to do, break my heart? ‘For I am ready not to be bound.’

“Brother, that’s a man that’s ready, you know that? He meant it when he said that. And he never missed a chance.

“Paul says, ‘I’m bound to preach to the Greeks AND the barbarians.' That’s everybody, whether they’re the 'in-society' and the scholars union or whether they’re the outcasts and dummies on the streets.

*****

“Come over to II Timothy 4:6 and notice his attitude right at the end: But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
[6] For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
[7] I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.’

“You see, that man could look at his life and at any time say, ‘I’m ready.’ ‘I’m ready to go, take advantage of the opportunities that come; I’m ready to meet the Lord.

“Now, THAT'S the way to live your life, ladies and gentlemen, IF you’re going to LIVE it. That’s cocked and ready all the time. Rain or shine, hot or cold, whatever the situation.

“You are to be ready to do whatever God put you wherever you are to do, no matter what the cost, with a heart of love, but do it! See, DO IT!”

(new article tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment