Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Confessing sins short circuits life in Christ

I remember when I first started attending my church (1991), I would hear from the pulpit about how misinformed Christians incorrectly “kept short accounts,” and I’d think to myself, “What is that?”

“It’s likely that most anyone who’s been a follower of Christ for any length of time has heard the phrase ‘keep short accounts’ at least once along the way, but what does it mean?” writes an internet blogger with the site My Beloved is Mine. “In general, it means that when we sin, we should quickly make every effort to get alone with God, ask His forgiveness, and receive His cleansing with thankfulness . . . Living daily with a clean conscience is far more peaceful to the Christian than living with the black cloud of conviction hanging overhead.”

The verse used to defend this awful, wholly unscriptural approach to Christian living is I John 1:9: [9] If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Jordan explains, “No. 1, that verse has nothing to do with the Body of Christ and No. 2, it has nothing to do with what people say it has to do with. The verse is about how those (little flock) Believers are going to get into the fellowship to start with and it’s not any ongoing kind of a thing.

“Israel’s program under the law was a short accounts system where when they sinned, the fellowship between them and God was broken and, in order to restore that communion with God, they had to offer a sacrifice.

“That’s what the whole sacrificial system in the Old Testament was about. All of those sacrifices listed in Leviticus--they were not designed to save those people. Those people already were the children of God.

“The sacrifices were for Israel to maintain that status of covenant relationship with God, rather than to be cut off from God. They had the law to say ‘thou shalt do this’ and ‘thou shalt not do that,’ and if you see the neighbor’s ox is in a ditch you’re to stop and get him out, but if you’re in a hurry to get where you got to go and don’t stop, now you’ve sinned and what do you do?

“To keep a short account system, you go down and confess your sin and offer the proscribed sacrifice to make restoration so you can keep the covenant relationship going.”

*****

A quote from a famous 19th century British philosopher says, “To live completely, wholly, every day as if it were a new loveliness, there must be a dying to everything of yesterday, otherwise you live mechanically, and a mechanical mind can never know what love is or what freedom is.”

In my mind this is what Paul is talking about when he advises to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”

Jordan says, “When you realize who you are and how you're set apart unto Christ--acceptable to God, accepted in the Beloved--is there anything any more logical or reasonable than just to say, ‘Here I am, Lord! Just let who you’ve already made me in Christ do it!'

“The first time I was in the Philippines, I heard a song Filipinos sing that I never knew about. Very seldom do people sing a hymn I haven’t heard the words to but I had never heard this one: ‘The mercies of God, what a theme for my song. Oh I never could number them more. They’re more than the stars in the heavenly dome or the sand of the wave-beaten shore. For mercies so great what return can I make? For mercies so constant and sure, I’ll love Him, l’ll serve Him with all that I have as long as my life shall endure.’

“What other response could you have when you really see His love for you in Christ? We love Him because He first loved us. Not because He said, ‘If you don’t, I’ll damn you!’ We love Him because He made it possible for us to love Him by transforming us and making us His!”

(new article tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment