Friday, January 6, 2017

Learning unshakeableness in ALL things

A verse even unsaved people love to cherry-pick from Paul’s epistles is Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Just off the top of my head, I can think of two superstar athletes (NBA player Stephen Curry and NFL player Tim Tebow) who use Philippians 4:13 as their motto, but what's so fascinating is the testimonial Paul gives beforehand that leads him to his conclusion.

Paul writes in Philippians 4:10-12, [10] But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
[11] Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
[12] I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

*****

“Contentment is that peace of God,” explains Jordan in a recent study. “Contentment is that emotional stability that comes from that renewed mind that’s dependent on Christ being enough. It’s that strengthening of your inner man by His spirit to give you peace in the circumstances of life. It’s that emotional stability.

“Now, you notice how Paul got it? He says, ‘For I have learned.’ How do you learn? Verse 12 tells you.

“Paul was instructed in some sound doctrine that allowed him to have emotional stability in whatever circumstances there were. Abounding and suffering need; having overabundance and having nothing.

“The circumstances of his life were not what controlled his inner contentment and strength. He learned, meaning he took in some sound doctrine and had an edification that produced a maturity that gave stability.

“It doesn’t come because you pray and ask God to give it to you. It comes because you learned some doctrine that produces a mindset that then you can apply to the details of your life. It doesn’t come automatically. It comes through the study of His Word. It comes through the faith application of His Word. And it produces inner strength.

“Paul made an adjustment on the INSIDE, based upon some doctrine, that gave him the ability to deal with the outside. When you find the outside to be a challenge, the way you deal with it is make that internal adjustment that gives you the contentment.

“That’s why verse 13 says, ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me.’ That ‘all things’ is the ‘all things’ in verses 10-12. I can abase; I can abound. I can have people love me; I can have people hate me. I can be rich; I can be poor. I can be hungry; I can be fat. I can live in whatever circumstance through Christ who strengthens me. That’s spiritual strength that comes from having Christ be everything.

“If you follow down through the rest of the chapter, what that did is it produced and resulted in a visible ministry. If you look at verse 14 and on, there’s something spiritual going on there: [14] Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.
[15] Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
[16] For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
[17] Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

“There’s an activity inside of you that’s producing some life outward. See, that’s that inner life working in you that produces an outward working. Where did the outward working come from? The weren’t trying to gain something from God. They were just being a part of who they were.

“Paul writes in verse 18 and 19, [18] But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.
[19] But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

“God’s going to supply everything they need. It doesn’t say needs plural—it’s not talking about your physical stuff. It’s talking about God gives you everything you need according to His riches in glory. What kind of riches are there in glory? You know, people say, ‘You don’t need to be driving that rusted-out Toyota; you can have a Beemer like me!’ Well, they don’t have Beemers in glory. The chariots in glory aren’t made in factories of the earth. What he’s talking about is verse 13.

“Everything you need to be everything God’s ever made you to be, He’s made available to you, whatever the work of the ministry is, whatever the outreach. He strengthened you with MIGHT in your inner man because you can do ALL things through Christ.

“I don’t know if you’ve ever heard the song ‘Christ Is All.’ I used to sing it a lot when I was young: ‘I saw a martyr at the stake,
The flames could not his courage shake,
Nor death his soul appall;
I asked him whence his strength was giv’n;
He looked triumphantly to Heav’n,
And answered, Christ is all. Christ is all, all in all,
Yes, Christ is all in all;
Christ is all, all in all,
Yes, Christ is all in all.’

“God has revealed the mystery. You’ve learned it. You’ve got the material. That material will produce spiritual might in your inner man. It will develop maturity as you keep your eyes on His majesty and that will result in an unshakeable motivation to be, in the details of your life, just who God has made you to be and to have God’s Word 'work effectually' in you that believe.

"Praise God for that and the privilege to be a recipient of such love. Just relax and let God love you and let that be enough.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment