Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Farther along


I drove home to Akron for the holiday Friday with “acute lower back pain” (the diagnosis my primary doctor put on a Workman’s Comp form two days before after I injured my back carrying into the elderly house plastic totes from Whole Foods filled with bottled mineral water and cranberry juice). Worse yet, I ran into a snowstorm I never expected on the Ohio toll road. Talk about nerve-wracking!

Leaning forward and firmly clutching the steering wheel, I sweated out the last 50-60 miles to my mom’s that absolutely CRAWLED by. There were cars and even a couple of semis that had slid off into the median or ditch.

As I write I’m watching the Weather Channel detail a “Blizzard Watch” now in effect for northeastern Ohio tomorrow, the same day I’m supposed to drive back in order to return to work Thursday. “C’mon blizzard!” I say.

I would love a good reason not to have to slink my ailing back back into the bucket seat of my low-to-the-ground Honda Civic Si that is suffering a wide variety of maladies (including a cracked head, faulty fuel pump, anti-freeze leak, blown-out exhaust system and failing heater). It’s always such a long, lonely journey even when there are NO road conditions!

*****

On the trip up from Dayton for my brother and his family, they killed some driving time by pondering quotes from famous leaders that my brother had purposely printed out (from a personal list he compiled) for his two sons to read aloud in the car and expound on.

I asked my brother if I could see his list and was impressed by the variety of advice. One from Winston Churchill I especially liked was, “The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” This sure does apply to the history outlined by God in His Book!

Then there was this unexpected quote from James T. Kirk, captain of the USS Enterprise: “You know the greatest danger facing us is ourselves, an irrational fear of the unknown. But there’s no such thing as the unknown—only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.”  

Earlier today I was thinking, “There is always ‘new’ Bible truth that has yet to be tapped by any human.” It is an endless journey of learning, expressly designed by God to be just that.
No matter how Godless and anti-biblical the world becomes there will always be people interested in things newly uncovered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment