Sunday, November 18, 2012

In the COOL of the day


So very relieved—and grateful—to report my symptoms of feeling like I am sitting in a sauna after running a summer marathon in a thermal snow suit are much lessened although still around. They appear to be very much connected to anxious thoughts and stress, which has always been my big thing in life to deal with.

Hardly anybody knows this but when we were missionaries in Ecuador and I was only seven years old, I got so worked up over being assigned to play a shepherd in a school Christmas play that I ended up with what was diagnosed as a “nervous stomach” and was so ill I didn’t go to school for almost a month! I did, however, still end up performing in the nativity scene and it wasn’t anything near as bad as I had imagined!

For all of those who have been concerned about me, sure appreciate the loving support and don’t know how I could have held together without it. Most everyone female who’s weighed in on this weird heat siege thinks it must be some special brand of menopausal “hot flashes,” so sure hoping they are right. I don’t even dare have my blood pressure taken in the midst of a spell because if it’s really high (and hence the real culprit behind the pressure-cooker feelings) that’s guaranteed to make me that much more anxious,, which will raise the blood pressure even higher!

The great thing is I am now enjoying being at my mom’s house and not having to think about work stuff (as hard as that is for me).
On Wednesday we will be able to travel together with dog Murray down to my brother’s in Dayton for the holiday. My brother-in-law and niece will also be driving to my brother’s, bringing all the family together for only the second Thanksgiving since my sister’s death.
An added bonus is my mom has cable TV (unlike my brother who purposefully has no television period—a record that is now over 20-plus years old!!!!) and I’ve been able to watch the live coverage of the latest in the Israel-Gaza conflict.

Part of this morning’s service at Shorewood touched on the escalating situation. One of the Old Testament passages quoted that’s fitting is II Chronicles 6: [1] Then said Solomon, The LORD hath said that he would dwell in the thick darkness.
[2] But I have built an house of habitation for thee, and a place for thy dwelling for ever.
[3] And the king turned his face, and blessed the whole congregation of Israel: and all the congregation of Israel stood.
[4] And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who hath with his hands fulfilled that which he spake with his mouth to my father David, saying,
[5] Since the day that I brought forth my people out of the land of Egypt I chose no city among all the tribes of Israel to build an house in, that my name might be there; neither chose I any man to be a ruler over my people Israel:
[6] But I have chosen Jerusalem, that my name might be there; and have chosen David to be over my people Israel.
(Editor’s note: Write more tomorrow. I get it now more than ever before that a crucial key to my emotional well-being is to keep my mind on my writing no matter what!)

No comments:

Post a Comment