Sunday, September 25, 2011

From O'Hair land

Last Monday morning, I was catching up with the residents on my floor when 60-year-old Tom, a Catholic-turned-Unitarian who has a degree in theology, asked me what the Sunday sermon was about at my church. I simply answered, “Contentment.” He responded, “That’s what AA calls ‘acceptance.’ ”

I am someone who has hardly been the model of contentment the last few years. The biggest takeaways from Jordan’s message, which I was very appreciative to have his “inside” insights on, is contentment is not ever to be based on circumstances and it involves having deep down real peace no matter what life throws at you.

Living in Manhattan for seven years, I was endlessly fascinated by how people on the island, whether rich or poor to the point of homeless, kept their mood so seemingly high. I often thought, “They don’t even know they need heaven because this is their idea of heaven on earth.” I know I was head over heels in love with the island for years and only toward the very end of my residency did I start to see its real failings.

Jordan also pointed out the basic Bible tenet that contentment is often the
result of gratefulness. He gave the analogy of the husband who was disappointed with how his wife turned out until he really pondered what was good about her rather than looking at her faults.

If I was to come with a “Grateful For” list just off the top of my head right now as I sit in my studio (right after watching the Bears lose to Green Bay this Sunday evening) I would include (in no order of importance):

1. Being able to jog on the lakeshore (across the street from my building) when the Fall waves make it really mimic the ocean

2. Having Wifi internet and a converter box to make my TV work

3. My lovely plants of all different varieties (including a thriving cactus plant) that give off such beautiful green colors when the afternoon sun shines on them

4. A refrigerator that works well and is crammed with food

5. Knowing my car has its own designated spot in the private back parking lot, one that I can always count on being open, comfortable in the fact I never need fight for street parking and then risk a ticket

6. Living in the same city as my favorite church, Shorewood, knowing that J.C. O’Hair is here with me in spirit as I labor for the Lord so very close to the old North Shore Church he built and is still standing, with its “Christ Died For My Sins” billboard still intact and visible from Lake Shore Drive (once the tree leaves all fall off) and the Red Line train

No comments:

Post a Comment